Chadha got down from his Mercedes, while his driver held the door and helper spread an umbrella over his head to save him from Sun. He walked lazily towards the eye clinic with his plumpy body out of control. He had an appointment with the doctor for his red eye. Doctor looked at him from head to toe and found a combination of prosperity and consequent plethora of health problems. After examination doctor pronounced, ‘your eyes are normal, but you have several health problems’ Chadha nodded in agreement and disclosed ‘ I am under treatment with several specialists and super-specialists and have got all the investigations done.’ He had pride of prosperity in his tone. Doctor felt amused and told him ‘Gentleman, you don’t need any medicines, tests or doctors, you require to do all your jobs with your own hands and shed inactivity. You have to work in the sun close to the nature, with plenty of labour, less of food, adequate water and sleep’. Patient was startled. Chadha is not alone to suffer health problems due to neo-rich life style.
During our leisure time, we are often using a computer or other device, watching TV, or playing video games. For traveling use of AC cars is a routine. Walking even for short distances is considered infra-dig, When you have an inactive lifestyle, you burn fewer calories. This makes you obese-the rate is said to be 63% in the region. Since you sit indoors, most develop deficiency of Vitamin D, lose muscle strength and endurance, and your bones get weaker. Your metabolism is affected, and your body may have more trouble breaking down fats and sugars. Your immune system may not work well. You may suffer depression and anxiety. Sedentary lifestyles double the risk of cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and increase the risks of colon cancer and other cancers, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, lipid disorders etc. While 86 percent of people in the U.S. fail to meet recommended guidelines for daily exercise, in India only 1-2% venture out to exercise. While Poverty and obesity are joined at the hip in America –prosperity and obesity are bedfellows in India. It’s ironic that while the American poor can only afford to buy junk, in India junk is affordable only to the well off. Prosperity also promotes party culture; food is fried – transfat-engorged–alcohol is a must. More so well off depend on helpers for all the manual work expected of them, to flaunt status.
Let us have a look at 8 important risks of inactivity.
- Mood swings
Inactive lifestyle leads to huge fluctuations in mood. You may start getting irritated or annoyed soon. In addition, you may feel hopeless, anxious and nervous.
- Risk of cancer
sitting idle along with junk food consumption, work like open gates to obesity and thus, cancer risks.
When the body is not moving enough, it gets used to laze around. It is not a good sign as it affects one mentally too. The biggest aftereffect is forgetfulness/ dementia.
- Rise in blood sugar levels
Lazy people even with healthy weight can get high sugar levels just because of inactive lifestyle. It is very crucial for people to exercise and toil as hard as they can. It can help in reducing down the blood sugar level by a large margin. Pills may not be required.
- Low sex life
sedentary life can lead to reduced sperm count in men. It is recommended that people avoid binge eating and watching TV for hours at a stretch. It can have severe effects on libido.
- Sleep disorder
You may face several issues with your ways of sleeping, if you don’t exercise. Sleep problems affect one’s overall health and one should make stern efforts to avoid it. Regarding this, you should do exercises every day.
- Back ache
Spending several hours at a stretch on computer may strain your back and you may suffer from severe back ache. If the habit continues then there are chances of disk degeneration that leads to excessive back pain. You should exercise everyday and take breaks from work every one hour.
- Eye aches and headaches
Those working several hours on laptop/smart phone can develop eye strain, fluctuating vision or severe and persistent headaches. Regular exercises and frequent interruption from screen may help.
There are some ways you can be active around your house:
- Housework, gardening, washing cars, dusting and yard work are all physical work. To get the benefit of exercise, you could try doing them yourself and at a more vigorous pace. Remain fidgety all day long and don’t finish the ritual of exercise in 20-25 minutes in the morning.
- Keep moving while you watch TV. Lift hand weights, do some gentle yoga stretches, or pedal an exercise bike. Instead of using the TV remote, get up and change the channels yourself. Get up from your chair and move around at least once an hour
- Work out at home with a workout video/ TV
- Go for a walk in your neighborhood. It can be more fun if you walk your dog, walk your kids to school, or walk with a friend.
- Stand up when talking on the phone
- Get some exercise equipment for your home. Treadmills and elliptical trainers are great, but not everyone has the money or space.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Use your break or part of your lunch hour to walk around the building
- Stand up and walk to a colleague’s office instead of sending an email
- Have “walking” or standing meetings with co-workers instead of sitting in a conference room